By Juan Carlos Guzmán Monet, PMP®, IPMA Level B®, Senior Project Manager
It is common that organizations design strategic projects to implement their strategy. However, most of the time they tend to fail with it. The reason for this, I argue, is that projects alone will not be able to deliver the results needed for the implementation of the strategy. There is a need for a larger process of synchronizing initiatives, assignments, tasks and projects that would help to achieve the strategic goals and to make the change possible. The organization should rather establish strategic programs which, on their part, would establish projects that would take the organization to the position set in the strategy. But this is such a difficult and uncertain task. My question here is why is it so?
Continue reading →
The speaker at the next PMI Breakfast Roundtable meeting organised in Vaasa on the 22nd September will be Tom Lunabba, Project Director at Freja Transport & Logistics Oy. His presentation will focus on the complex world of project logistics, including the different fields within a project seen from the logistical side:
- how to tackle a complex project
- where to start
- what to do next
- whom to talk to
The presentation will take place at Vaasa offices Runsor in the Auditorium.
Please register (RSVP) through the EVENTS pages.
PMI Finland Chapter was present (Vesa Koskela and Javier Martin) in EMEA Leadership Institute Meeting 2016, held in Barcelona. It is a PMI annual event that brings together leaders and volunteers from chapters in PMI EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) to exchange experiences and best practices on chapter operations.
There are many PMI news, takeaways and lessons learned from PMI staff and from our colleagues in other chapters in PMI EMEA which we took home from this exciting event. These will help us improve our chapter value to our members. Find some important ones below:
- Project management value proposition is changing from pre-defined technical project management knowledge into providing ongoing improvements of one’s skills in organising/organisational, leadership and strategy areas.
- PMI Educational Foundation has new material for schools for providing organisation and leadership skills knowledge to students of various ages. There were great example projects presented from other chapters, e.g. PM summer camp for young pupils not affording commercial camps, where they created a movie with high-profile volunteers.
- PMI Practitioner guide for Agile project management coming out next year, likely coming to review late this year. For ACP certification, currently PMI refers to 3rd party books.
- Finland offerings will be more mapped to be aligned with PMI talent triangle
- Finland chapter is looking into co-operation opportunities with other EMEA Chapters (UK, Sweden and Poland) for possible cooperation i.e. sharing speaker’s database, topics, sponsors, etc.
- SEMINARSWORLD 2016, Athens, Greece, 12-13th September
- SEMINARSWORLD 2016, London November 14-15th November
- The EMEA LIM, the GLOBAL CONGRESS and SEMINARSWORLD 2017 will be held in Rome
Speaker at the next PMI Breakfast Round table meeting organised in Vaasa on the 22nd September will be Tom Lunabba, Project Director at Freja Transport & Logistics Oy.
His presentation will focus on the complex world of project logistics, including the different fields within a project seen from the logistical side: how to tackle a complex project, where to start, what to do next, whom to talk to, and so on.
More information about content and personal presentation of the speaker will follow. Register (RSVP) through the EVENTS pages
I am happy to announce that login problem seems to be solved. I case you are Chapter member you should have received login credentials to your email (the email you used to register in PMI Global). Please check your junk mail if you do not find the email.
In case you still experience problems with login please contact via contact page.
NOTE: no login is needed to the pages. Some content is members only and to see the whole content you need to login.